**Blades available for the drop on March 31st are only available in CPM 3v steel with Matt Helm Signature Jimping, and TiC (Grey) or TiCN (bronze) finishes.**
The Dogbone is our third Collaboration with Matt Helm. It was designed from the very beginning to be an exceptional knife for everyday carry. The knife is 7" in length with a 3" blade and a thickness of 5/32" (0.156"). It is made from high quality american steel and entirely manufactured in the USA. The blade is heat treated to 60 HRC.
The Dogbone is sold without scales in the BareBones configuration, but is supplied with a sheath.
**Handle scales are available to purchase separately**
- CPM 3v will take an extremely fine edge. It is an exceptional working steel that will remain sharp through hard use, but can also be sharpened to a scary sharp edge.
- AEB-L is a true stainless steel. Of the three steels available, it is best suited for corrosive environments. It is wear resistant and keeps an excellent edge.
- CPM M4 is an extremely tough tool steel. It is well suited for hard use. The blade coatings give the knife excellent corrosion resistance, but the bare edge will need to be cared for to prevent corrosion.
Knife is supplied with a black sheath manufactured in house. The sheath is configured with a Discreet Carry Concepts HLR gear clip that can be mounted for left or right hand orientation. Additionally, the top rivet holes are based on the common .75"/1.5" spacing so they can be used with various other attachment methods. Sheath is vacuum formed, CNC trimmed and assembled in house from .060" Kydex. The adjustable retention allows for fine tuning to your preferred level of retention. All hardware is black oxide stainless.
Our standard finish, Black Nitride, is a variation of a ferritic nitrocarburizing process. This is similar to the tough finish found on many firearm slides and its variants have many trade names within the various industries it serves. Melonite, Tenifer and FNC are all common names for a close family of treatments. It is an extremely tough and corrosion resistant surface finish that leaves very nice black surface finish.
Our grey nitride finish is a very slight variation on the standard black nitride that is slightly lighter in color, almost looking like a weathered, satin phosphate finish.
Our upgraded finishes are industrial PVD coatings
TiC (Grey, Titanium Carbide). This is an extremely hard and tough coating that gives the blade excellent corrosion resistance on all coated surfaces. It is a light grey color that can show variation in shade.
TiCN (Bronze, Titanium Carbon Nitride). This is an extremely hard and tough coating that gives the blade excellent corrosion resistance on all coated surfaces. It is a bronze color that can show variation from rose to brown.
The blade coatings give the knife excellent corrosion resistance, but the bare edge will need to be cared for to prevent corrosion.
- Jimping refers to the texture applied to the grip area of the knife to increase control and grip on the knife.
- Matt Helm Signature jimping consists of two overlapping patterns of alternating conical milled features and is a close representation of the fine jimping that Matt applies to his custom knives.
- Dauntless standard jimping is an aggressive milled jimping that consists of semi circular milled features arranged in a series.